ap3: Node.js package for Express based Atlassian Add-ons
ap3 is a toolkit for creating Atlassian Add-ons with Node.js. Plugins 3 is a new kind of Atlassian add-on framework that works with Atlassian OnDemand applications.
Atlassian Remote Add-ons run inside a web server and communicate with the host Atlassian applications entirely by HTTP. The
ap3 package helps you get started developing add-ons quickly, using Node.js and Express as the add-on server.
It's important to understand that Express by itself is a web app framework for Node.
ap3 just provides a set of middleware and convenience helpers that make it easier to build Atlassian Add-ons. Specifically,
- An optimized dev loop by handling registration and deregistration to consuming host for you at startup and shutdown
- A filesystem watcher that detects changes to
atlassian-plugin.xml. When changes are detected, the add-on is re-registered with the host(s)
- Automatic OAuth authentication of inbound requests as well as OAuth signing for outbound requests back to the host
- Automatic persistence of host details (i.e., client key, host public key, host base url, etc.)
- Localtunnel'd server for testing with OnDemand instances
The fastest way to get started is it install the
ap3-cli tool. The CLI makes it possible to generate an
ap3 enabled add-on scaffold very quickly. To install:
npm i -g ap3-cli
Once installed, check out the README.
How to configure
How to use
How to secure a route with OAuth
How to send a signed outbound HTTP request back to the host
Getting Help or Support
Even though this is just an exploratory project at this point, it's also open source Apache 2.0. So, please feel free to fork and send us pull requests.